Monday, October 27, 2008

The Internship aka "Give me the resume line!"


The Internship.
We all have had one here or there.
(If you haven't had one, well then you probably should look into that.)

My favorite internship came along during my Writing for the Media discussion held by favorite GTF, Leona. I vividly remember Leona asking the class who would like to be a PR/MySpace/Facebook intern for the nightclub, The Indigo District. Since the class consisted of all minors who were unaware of what the establishment was, I gladly raised my hand and took the position. The following week I met with my two supervisors and learned what my role and duties were as an intern.

The job was simple, update the club's popular social networking sites, post daily bulletins and friend as many people as possible. The results I was producing made my head supervisor and even the owner satisfied with my work.

Well until Facebook kicked me off.

Who knew there was a limit of friends you could add on Facebook?
I for sure didn't, hence my goal was to add all 900 of my friends in the first day of the account.
Facebook was none too happy with my actions, claiming they were "spam like" or what not. Within a couple of days of having the account, the social networking site banned The Indigo District. What was I to do? This was in fact half of my internship and I clearly ruined it.

After e-mails back and forth with the Facebook staff, it was clear - they were not going reactivate the account. Thus making me start my internship all over again, new e-mail, new page, new profile, and new friends. Luckily I didn't get in any form of trouble and continued to work there for another year, but the experience left me wanting another internship.

So this leaves me at: I need a new internship! Any ideas?

The Indigo District's Myspace

No comments: