Wednesday, October 22, 2008

Facebook: Save? Delete? or Edit?


As I am growing older and on my way into the "real world,"
the notion of changing my Facebook account has come up.
More and more you hear about companies firing and hiring after
doing a simple Google search to find their hopefuls' MySpace and Facebook accounts.

As I look at my page, my photos, my comments, I wonder:
What do people other than my best friends think of me?

In the past months I have learned the importance of social networking and my future profession. Social networking sites like Facebook and MySpace can be a wonderful tool in meeting employers, friends and connections. As the years have passed these sites started as a form of entertainment and are now becoming a part of my adult life and future career. I feel as of now that it is time to redecorate my page.

I have had other PR friends who are so paranoid of a future employer finding their page, they delete their account all together. I don't know if I am ready to give up my Facebook addiction that quickly, there may have to involve a 12-step program or a city electrical blackout for that to happen.

So in the past year I have made baby steps in changing my account,
I have set it to private, I created a "limited friend list"
and I deleted random "friends" from Turkey named Cocoa and Blang.
BUT
I feel that isn't enough.
It is time to take the next step in privacy:
block my friends from seeing my photos and comments.
I know, I know, this is a huge step in my relationship with the social networking site, but the photos from my freshman Halloween are no longer important to me or my future employer.
(Well and no one needs to check out my freshmen 15.)

It will take time, but hopefully within the next term my Facebook account will be professional and an accurate representation of myself as a young adult.




1 comment:

Kelli Matthews said...

Honestly, I think it's suspicious if I facebook a student and they don't have a profile. Most employers will want someone who is social media savvy and that means using the tools in a responsible, ethical, professional way.

Being a social creature is also important! And an employer will not be turned off by proof that you are outgoing and creative and have (gasp!) friends. They might be turned off by Girls Gone Wild, beer pong, illicit drug use photos, though. Or a profile that screams, "I'm a party girl and can't take anything seriously!"

Deleting one's facebook page is a knee-jerk response that could ultimately cost them a great opportunity. Too bad.