Wednesday, November 5, 2008

Agency Profile: Henry V Events

My career goal after college is to work in event planning. As the my graduation date becomes more in sight, I have been spending some time researching event planning firms on the west coast. Last week I ran into an old college friend who was raving about her new job at Henry V Events, so I thought I would look into the company and figure out why she loved her job so much.

Company: Henry V

Location: 6360 NE MLK Jr. Blvd. Portland, OR 97211

Year Founded: 1978

Event Types:
Private Party
Corporate Event
PR / Marketing Event
Meeting
Conference
Convention
Lecture / Speaker

Henry V is the largest and oldest event planning company in the Pacific Northwest. As one of the Top 50 event agencies worldwide, their clients include Intel, Adidas, RYKA, The North Face, Jansport, Dr. Martens, Disney, KEEN and many more.

The company considers themselves as "a one - stop shop," provide staging, logistics (full service), strategic planning, creative concepting, shipping, trade fixture development and maintenance and much more.

Henry V does public, employee and sales events for small and large audiences. Their task is to 'Make Things Happen' and with an approach that with every event is to plan for what the audience needs to believe, feel or know as they leave your successful event.

As I spent last night looking through Henry V's Web site,
several questions popped into my head regarding my future career:
Do I want to work for a company this large?
Do I want to work with an event planning firm?
Or be the event coordinator at a venue?
Or be the event planner at company, such as Adidas or Nike?

With the more I investigate, I am learning there are many ways I could go about this profession of event planning. I am excited to continue my research and find the answers for my questions.


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Katie-

It's always nice to see that there are other PR majors out there looking to get into the field of event planning. I feel like everywhere I turn there is either a professor or classmate advising me to steer away from event planning because of the irregular hours or stressful complications that occur. Besides your friend who works at Henry V, what other resources do you recommend to find event planning firms on the west coast? Have you found any helpful magazines, or do you just do Web site browsing? Any advice you can offer to help stir me in the same direction would be wonderful!

horley912 said...

It is interesting how people seem to advise students to steer away from event planning. I think people just assume event planning as planning wedding, which is completely different! (AND NOT A GOOD IDEA!) I am still searching on different firms on the west coast, if I find something interesting I will let you know.