Wednesday, December 3, 2008

PR vs. Marketing

Anytime I mention that I am studying public relations, the response I usually get is, "oh yeah - marketing." Yeah, I find it annoying. I want my public relations major to get the credit it deserves, not to be pushed into something else.

It's easy to become confused about these terms: advertising, marketing, promotion, public relations and publicity, and sales. The terms are often used interchangeably. However, they refer to different -- but similar activities.

Earlier today I was exploring Ad of the World, which is an online archive of the best and most interesting advertisements from across the world. I came across an advertisement on their site that uses four simple pictures to explain to you the difference between marketing, pr, advertising, and branding.






These simple images help to understand the distinction between the commonly misused terms, well and they are pretty funny.

Also check out Ads of the World's Web site. It's extremely interesting and you could waste an afternoon on it. Click here for the original images and related discussion.

Related Articles:
Public Relations vs. Marketing: PR Marvels and Miscues
Basic Definitions: Advertising, Marketing, Promotion, Public Relations, and Publicity

No comments: